If you cannot reach an agreement on your family matters despite efforts to settle cases together, a judge will decide the cases for you. No formal legal process is required to make separation legal. However, marriage is a legal relationship and can only end with a court order granting divorce. If you and your spouse have children and are planning to divorce, you may need to take the Parenting After Separation (PAS) online course. You can also voluntarily choose the course and learn some useful strategies to help you in your separation. The link to the course is available here: www.alberta.ca/pas.aspx Working together minimizes the costs of creating a separation agreement. We are not lawyers. we do not provide legal advice or pass on complex issues. However, we can help in many situations, even if you are not in full compliance. Deborah Ward, owner of the Canadian Legal Resource Centre Inc., has personally designed more than 1,000 separation agreements, each of which has been reviewed by two different lawyers. Deborah has a great deal of knowledge and experience in designing quality separation agreements. You are expected to share the debts acquired during the marriage, whether in the common name or in the name of one of you. When separating, it is useful for you to create a list of all the real estate that you own together and that you own alone and what is the amount of the sums at the time of separation.

These include PRSPs and pensions. The same goes for any debts that you have separated or with your spouse or who know that your spouse has in his or her name. When you leave the house, take photocopies of financial documents with you. We design separation agreements for couples who are willing to work together. Our goal is to help you: the complainant must have attended the seminar before filing a request for help with the court for your children under the age of 16. Proof of attendance is requested by the court author before your divorce application can be made for the hearing. Proof of the presence of the party making the appeal for the main hearing must be filed with the court. If you do not contest the divorce or if your children are over the age of 16, you and your spouse do not have to attend the parenting seminar after separation. However, you must confirm in writing that you and your spouse have entered into an agreement that defines all the issues between you. You and your spouse can try to get back together for up to 90 days without having to count the one-year period of separation again. However, if you stay together for more than 90 days, you must start counting the one-year separation from the date you separated again. For example, if you separated from your spouse at the end of January and reconciled for the months of March, April, May and June, you would count the requirement of one year from the date of separation in June, because you reconciled for more than 90 days.

The 6-hour course step is offered free of charge by the Government of Alberta throughout the province. You will receive valuable information about the legal process and the impact of separation and divorce on children….